Vaginal Dilator Usage
Dilators can be a useful tool for people who wish to stretch their vagina. In this guide we will explain a little about their usage and give some tips. Please note we are not medical professionals only educators, if you have any concerns about your body please ask your medical care team for advice.
Dilators generally come in kits in various sizes, they are long cylindrical tubes normally made of ABS plastic of firm silicone that are smooth. They are designed to slowly stretch the vagina.
Benefits of Dilator Usage
The most important aspect of dilator usage is you should take it slowly, take as much time as you need to get the results you want.
The goal of dilator usage is to prevent your vagina from becoming too narrow or to slowly widen it. It is also used to keep the vagina elastic.
Some of the reasons people use dilators :-
- To aid in sexual intercourse and penetration
- To aid in insertion of sanitary products when it is painful to do so
- To make pelvic exams more comfortable
- To aid in elasticity of the vagina caused by menopause
- To aid in vaginal damage due to surgery/injury/GTS
How to get started?
The first step is to prepare your surroundings, you will want to find a quiet place where you have privacy. Dilator usage may take 30-60 minutes per session so you probably don't want to be disturbed during this time.
Relax your pelvic floor muscles, relax and take some deep breaths.
Get comfortable :-
- Lie down with your feet flat and knees bent
- Spread your legs so they are a comfortable distance apart.
- Start by selecting the smallest dilator in your set
- Apply a liberal amount of lube to the dilator
- Slowly insert the first dilator, it should be snug and you should feel pressure but it should not hurt! If you do not feel pressure you may need to step up to the next size and if you feel any pain either take it slower or step down a size.
- During insertion you may wish to contract and relax your kegal muscles to aid in insertion.
- When the dilator is fully inserted (if you can't fully inserted don't worry, it can take time to get to the point of being able to fully insert, just continue on from the depth you can get too). Slowly insert and remove the dilator in a back and forth pattern.
- Repeat this for five minutes
- Rotate the dilator in increasingly wide circles to increase the width of your vagina.
- Repeat step 8 for the middle portion and entrance to your vagina
- Remove and wash the dilator with hot soapy water, dry thoroughly and put away for next time.
After using a dilator it is possible that you may have a small amount of vaginal bleeding - this is normal. You may wish to wear a panty liner after dilator usage.
If the bleeding continues for an extended period of time please visit your regular healthcare provider.
We recommend urinating after usage of any toys (including dilators) to reduce the chances of UTIs.
We always recommend performing kegal exercises with or without the use of dilators - they have some amazing benefits. A follow up blog entry will detail usage of kegal exercises.